Woodwards book Fear about the White House fell like a bomb and an anonymous op-ed assaulted Donald Trump
Monday was a bank holiday in America. Donald Trump almost ran golfing for the third day in a row, after attending his golf course the day before and on Saturday when he was not invited to John McCain’s funeral. Then- motorcade waiting on Monday morning- he appeared to change his intellect abruptly and retreated to the White House. Maybe he could see storm clouds gathering. But it was the blizzard inside his own White House he needed to worry about- and on Tuesday it violated. Here’s what we learned this week.
* Tuesday kicked off severely. Protesters dressed as handmaids, and the kind of people Trump would probably call ” nasty females “ interrupted the opening day of the supreme court confirmation hearing on Capitol hill for Judge Brett Kavanaugh , Trump’s ultra-conservative selection for the supreme court.
* In the early afternoon, veteran Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward ‘ s eagerly foreseen book about the Trump White House broke encompas. Feardropped like a bomb as the Washington Post itself revealed devastating details, quoting senior members of the administration calling the president, variously, an moron, a professional liar, the mayor of Crazytown and a clueless, hopeless manchild.
* Woodward, who, with Carl Bernstein, broke the Watergate scandal that brought down Richard Nixon , describes” an administrative coup d’etat” and a “nervous breakdown” in the Trump administration. Fear tells of senior aides secretly snatching official newspapers from Trump’s desk in the Oval Office so he couldn’t sign them, as the only route to stop the president building dangerous policy decisions.
* Chief of staff John Kelly reportedly told staff, of Trump:” He’s an idiot. It’s pointless to try to convince him of anything. He’s gone off the rails. We’re in Crazytown. I don’t even know why any of us are here. This is the worst undertaking I’ve ever had .”
* According to the book, previous joint chiefs of staff Reince Priebus dubbed the presidential bedroom, where Trump goes to tweet” the devil’s workshop” and called leisure time when a bored Trump tweets wildly” the witching hour “. Trump apparently referred to Priebus as a” little rat” who” scurries around “.
* Gary Cohn , Trump’s former chief economic consultant, reportedly called Trump a” professional liar” and threatened to resign after the president said ” both sides” were to blame when white supremacists clashed with protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017. Trump was later persuaded to condemn the neo-Nazis, but then told aides that was ” the biggest fucking mistake I’ve made ,” according to Woodward.
* White House press secretary Sarah Sanders attempted to deride Fearas” nothing more than fabricated tales, many by former disgruntled employees, told to stimulate the president look bad “. Kelly, for one, issued a statement calling the book” total BS “.
* Trump called the book a” shame” on Wednesday and Woodward a “con” and mused that US libel statutes should be changed. Further details emerged, that Trump calls himself a “popularist”, despite his former aide Steve Bannon explaining that the word is populist. But this was just the eye of the storm.
* Wednesday mid-afternoon. The New York Times published an anonymous accountwritten by a” current Trump administration official” claiming an internal White House “resistance” is working to” frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations” until he leaves- or can be removed from- office.
* The anonymous opinion column claimed aides had explored removing Trump via the 25 th amendment to the American constitution, which allows for the replacement of a president who is” unable to discharge the powers and duties of its term of office”, but had decided against it.” So we will do what we can to steer the government of the united states in the right direction until- one style or another – it’s over” the person wrote.
* Uproar ensued. Trump cried “treason”and called the author “gutless”. He was already on the prowl for the causes of Woodward’s book, but the witch-hunt intensified to fever pitch. Senator Rand Paul suggested lie detector tests for White House officials.
* Thursday assured a pitiful paradeof senior administration officials, from Vice-President Mike Pence on down, issuing refusals that they were the “resistance” mole in the White House.” Not mine “, ” no “, ” laughable” came the various statements. Trump recurred his shout of treason at a rally in Montana on Thursday evening.